Sunday, January 19, 2014

Undulation


When I chose this theme, I really had no preconceived notions about what I would shoot. I found myself daydreaming while staring out the window while sitting in an automatic car wash, and it struck me suddenly that I was seeing undulating shapes through the windshield. I scrambled for my iPhone (didn't have my DSLR with me) before the rinse cycle ended, and I was able fire off a few shots.

When I want to focus on lines and shapes within an image, I like to convert it to black and white because sometimes color can distract the viewer from the strongest elements, which is this case is the wavy and undulating shapes. -Cort



What a great week to capture this theme. We had 3 days of over 50 mph winds! I thought this shot perfectly captured the word undulation. What a fun theme. 

Side note: My first goal was to catch waves in motion. On one of the days when we were having gale force winds, I headed to a neighborhood lake. As I turned the corner, I saw a lot of geese standing on the middle of the lake and my first thought was, Oh, awesome, I'm totally getting them in my photo. My second thought was, Oh, they are standing in the middle of the lake. Standing. On a frozen lake. Sigh. I forgot I lived in Nebraska and it was January. Of course, as I write this, it's 64 degrees out, so you never know! -Dina

Next Week's Theme: Majestic 

No comments:

Post a Comment