Sunday, September 8, 2013

Poetry


I chose this theme because one of my favorite poems is called September Afternoon at Four O'clock by Marge Piercy. I thought it would be fun to try to capture the poem in a photograph. A line in the poem that makes me think of fall is "There is a turn in things that makes the heart catch." I love, love, love that line and it's so true as fall approaches. On one hand, we say goodbye to summer (sometimes wistfully), but on the other hand there is so much goodness that comes with the season of fall. It's a bittersweet time. I took this photo today a few minutes before 4:00pm and even though it was at least 150 degrees out, the light was a different light. You can tell it's not the same light that is normally found on a late summer afternoon. And when you happen to notice the difference, it really can make your heart catch.  -Dina



I love how poetry can sort of be a nonobjective literary art form. You can use letters, words, and phrases to convey a concept or feeling without saying something literal. It still uses the building blocks of language, but in a way that lets the reader form his own idea of the message.

Sometimes I like to try the same thing with photography. People aren't used to nonobjective photography - it's usually the most literal visual art form. I like using the building blocks of photography - color, value, shape -  to convey a feeling without actually taking a picture OF something. -Cort

Next Week's Theme: Roughing it

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts & pictures. It made me relax & set a tone for meditation. Thanks! Lideana

    ReplyDelete